Tutor Citizenship Test Preparation
Volunteer Position: Tutor, Citizenship Test Preparation
Location: 900 Merivale Road (main site)
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: Tuesdays, starting September 8, 2015
Time: 6:00 to 7:30 pm
Number of Volunteers Needed: 1
Commitment: September 8 – December 15, 2015
Volunteer will report to: Settlement Worker
Goal of the program:
To help a group of clients learn more about Canada with the goal of taking the citizenship test.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Assist clients in practicing and improving vocabulary in English learning about Canada through conversation.
- Provide information on topics related to the Canadian citizenship test.
- Provide social support and friendly conversation.
- Ability to speak English well.
- Knowledge of issues of local and national interest.
- Strong familiarity with the material in the Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship
- Patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.