SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Tutor
Volunteer Position: SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Tutor
Location: Fisher Park Public School, 250 Holland Avenue
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Time: 3:00 to 5:30 pm
Commitment: Year-round (September 12, 2016 until end of June 2017)
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Volunteer will report to: SWAG Coordinator
Number of Volunteers Needed: 5 – 8
Goal of the program:
The SWAG program is intended to increase the high school graduation rate of students identified as most at risk of failing by providing volunteer Tutors who will help increase students’ academic success in a supportive environment.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Provide academic assistance related to the Grade 9 and 10 curriculum to participants
- Help students improve study habits such as time management and studying skills.
- Help motivate students to complete academic goals.
- Provide positive feedback and appropriate guidance to students.
- Previous experience with older children / youth.
- Knowledge of Grade 9 and 10 high school curriculum. Concentration in English, French math, science, history, geography, preferred.
- Knowledge of appropriate tutoring and motivational techniques
- Caring, patient, open-minded, non-judgmental, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in French and additional languages pertinent to our client population an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
Updated August 2016