Playtime Assistant – Annavale Nursery School
Volunteer Position: Playtime Assistant
Location: Annavale Nursery School, 250 Anna Ave.
Days: Monday to Friday
Time: 9 to 11:30 am
Minimum commitment: Three months
Volunteer will report to: Nursery School staff
Goals of the program:
Annavale Nursery School is a full-day program for children ages of 2 to 5 years old designed to give each child a “Headstart” preparation for formal schooling and successful entry into kindergarten. The daily curriculum and activities build on each child’s strengths and interests.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Model appropriate behaviours with children.
- Help prepare children during activity transitions and play with the children by engaging children in play and interacting with them in the appropriate manner.
- Promote listening skills and attention span, and promote language development by asking open-ended questions through interactions with the children.
- Assist staff with other activities with the children upon request.
- Ability to work in a challenging and high-energy environment with a team
- Demonstrated genuine interest in children and children’s activities. Knowledge of child development or experience working with children an asset.
- Good communication skills, ability to speak in English (other languages, such as Somali, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, an asset)
- Caring, patient, non-judgmental, and understanding of children and children’s needs
- Punctual, reliable, and dependable.
- Sensitive to multicultural issues
- Sensitive to issues facing low-income population.
- Ability to work with children with special needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.