Market Mobile Volunteer
Volunteer Position: Market Mobile Volunteer
Location: Caldwell Community, 1475 Caldwell Ave.
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: Every second Thursday
Time: 3 – 4 pm
Commitment: Minimum of three months
Volunteer will report to: Health Promoter – Community Development
*Open to High School Students
Goal of the program:
The Mobile Market is a community initiative which allows low income area residents access to affordable and healthy food. Fresh produce is available on a bus and residents can choose what produce they want to purchase. They then pay for their produce at the end of their tour on the bus.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Assist other volunteers to display produce and keep the area clean.
- Help pack up boxes and break down empty boxes for recycling.
- Assist residents touring the bus and record their produce choices on a receipt which is forwarded to the cash.
- Calculate and provide change for purchases using a calculator.
- Caring, friendly, patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to do simple math.
- Able to stand and walk for extended periods of time even during difficult weather.
- Able to lift 20 pounds.
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in French and additional languages pertinent to our client population an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.