Volunteer Position: Choir Director
Location: 900 Merivale Road
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: Once a week; Monday afternoons
Time: During the day
Commitment: Minimum of 6 months
Volunteer will report to: Health Promoter for Seniors
Goal of the program:
The goal of the group is to improve health and wellness through music engagement in a group environment.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- In consultation with the choir, select musical works.
- Adapt and modify lyrics and music as necessary.
- Lead choir during weekly rehearsals and a few performances a year.
- Lead the group in breathing exercises and warm-ups to improve vocals.
- Facilitate group cohesion.
- Ability and 1-2 years’ experience leading a choir or singing group.
- Knowledge of needs specific to seniors.
- Flexibility, patience and encouragement.
- Excellent verbal communication.
- Leadership qualities.
- Keyboard accompaniment is an asset.
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Fluency in English required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.