After the Bell Homework Club Assistant
Location: Van Lang Field House (29 Van Lang Private)
Team: Parent-Child Team
Days: Thursday and Friday evenings; September-June
Time: 4pm to 6pm
Commitment: Ideally September – June
Goal of the program:
After The Bell is provided in partnership with Dovercourt Recreation Centre. The program provides outreach and related activities to low-income children in the Van Lang community. The activities are directed to children ages 6 – 13 and relate to assistance with homework and promotion of physical activity.
Description of Volunteer Role:
• Assist Homework Club Worker to provide healthy nutritious snacks to encourage healthy eating habits.
• Assist with program set-up, clean up, snack preparation, physical activity, and completion of homework.
• Provide 1:1 attention to assigned children
• Provide social support and friendly interactions.
• Ability to speak English
• Ability to speak French is an asset.
• Experience working with children ages 6 – 13.
• Patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work with children/youth who may have special learning/behavioral issues
• Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Reliable and dependable.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
For more information about this position, and to receive the application materials, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at 613-722-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org