Community Health Worker (Temporary)
Temporary Community Health Worker
35 hours per week to December 14, 2018
Under the direction of the Health Promotion and Counseling Team Program Coordinator, the Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for working within the frameworks of community development (CD) and health promotion (HP) to assist in planning community initiatives and to coordinate and implement programing related to HP and CD. The incumbent works closely with other members of Carlington CHC as well as community partners to develop programming and provide front-line support for these initiatives. The CHW facilitates the active participation of community members on issues which have an impact on their health and on the health of the community.
As a non-profit organization, we are accountable to our community for providing quality care. For this reason, we can only consider applicants who clearly describe how their education, skills, and experience match each of the position requirements listed below in a separate 2 – 3 page attachment submitted with a résumé and cover letter
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a relevant discipline or equivalent combination of some post-secondary education and significant experience in health promotion and/or community development.
- Three to five years full-time community development and/or health promotion experience in a community setting.
- Experience connecting and collaborating with community groups and associations; thorough knowledge and understanding of community resources; specific knowledge of the CCHC service area an asset.
- Knowledge of and experience with group dynamics and group facilitation approaches.
- Experience in in community program development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Strong problem-solving, planning, organizational, and change management skills.
- Ability to mobilize people at the grassroots; strong networking skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to community-based health care and social services, and strength-based philosophy and practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, in English.
- Demonstrated ability to promote and model teamwork; demonstrated ability to model “client centred” service delivery.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications, including Microsoft Office programs, client database software, and electronic record keeping in a client-service setting.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends if required.
- Fluency in English and in a language reflective of our client population (Arabic, Somali, Mandarin especially needed) is required.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Salary: $25.43 – $29.91 per hour + applicable % vacation pay
Send applications(cover letter, resume, and attachment described above) to: Human Resources Manager, Carlington Community Health Centre, 900 Merivale Rd. Ottawa, ON K1Z 5Z8; fax: 613-761-1805; email firstname.lastname@example.org Quote job reference “CHW HP-01W” in subject header or subject line. Deadline: Thursday, February 22, 2018 by 12:45 p.m.
If at any stage in the selection process you require an accommodation, please let us know the nature of the required accommodation.
Carlington Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer who values the diversity of individuals in our programs and services.