Volunteer Program Support, Beyond the Basics Program
Volunteer Position: Volunteer Program Support, Beyond the Basics Program
Location: 900 Merivale Road (Main site)
Days: Fridays, from September to December, 2018
Minimum commitment: 3 months
Volunteer will report to: Team Administrative Assistant, Nahla Lahleh
The Beyond the Basics Program is a CAS mandated group for parents of children, aged from birth to 6 years old. Parents are given the opportunity to share issues, strengths, challenges and strategies, on a wide-range of parenting topics. Meals and childcare are included for participants.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- The volunteer will assist with preparing snacks/lunch for program participants by preparing food trays, setting food on the table, setting out cutlery and dishes, and monitoring the warming up of food for group participants.
- Working with a team of childcare providers, the volunteer will assist with engaging children in play while their parents attend program when needed.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated genuine interest in children and children’s activities
- Good communication skills, ability to speak in English (other languages, such as Somali, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, an asset)
- Caring, patient, non-judgmental, and understanding of children and children’s needs
- Punctual, reliable, and dependable.
- Sensitive to multicultural issues
- Sensitive to issues facing low-income population.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.