Seniors Cooking for Kids
Volunteer Position: Seniors Cooking for Kids
Location: 900 Merivale Road
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: To be determined
Time: 4 hours – once or twice a month (up to the volunteer to decide)|
Commitment: Minimum of 6 months
Volunteer will report to: Bonnie McCutcheon, Health Promoter for Seniors
Goals of the program:
- The “Seniors Cooking for Kids” volunteers will gather together to plan and prepare healthy snacks for an after school program for children and a seniors social drop in.
- The group is a welcoming environment in which individuals can learn about nutrition, increase skills around food preparation, socialize and develop friendships.
- Once a season, the volunteers will be invited to visit the children in the after school program to meet, have a snack and play games.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- With the help of a Registered Dietician, plan and prepare healthy snacks for an after school program for children and a seniors social drop in.
- Volunteers will have the opportunity to take the “Safe Food Handler’s Training”
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of the community kitchen
- Enjoys cooking or interested in learning how to cook.
- Interested in helping others.
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Punctual, reliable and dependable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to speak English (other languages an asset).
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check