School’s Cool Program Support
Volunteer Position: School’s Cool Volunteer
Location: W.E. Gowling Public School
Days: Four days per week, Monday-Thursday
Minimum commitment: May 1st to June 23rd
Volunteer will report to: Nahla Lahleh
Description of Program:
School’s Cool is a learning readiness course designed to help children get ready to start kindergarten. The children who participate are between the ages of 3-5 years old.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Engage children in play.
- Assist with snack time.
- Read to children
- Assist with daily tasks such as getting ready to go outside, etc.
- Experience working with children between the ages of 3 and 5 years old.
- Demonstrated genuine interest in children and children’s activities
- Good communication skills, ability to speak in English (other languages, such as Arabic, Somali, French, Spanish, Chinese, an asset)
- Caring, patient, non-judgmental, and understanding of children and children’s needs
- Punctual, reliable, and dependable.
- Sensitive to multicultural issues
- Sensitive to issues facing low-income population.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.