Homework Club Program Assistant (“After The Bell” Program)
Location: Churchill Senior Centre, 345 Richmond Rd
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Time: 4:15 to 6:15 p.m.
Commitment: All year round (program runs from Sept – August)
Volunteer will report to: Coordinator for School Success Programs
Goal of the program:
“After The Bell” is provided in partnership with Dovercourt Recreation Centre. The program provides outreach and related activities to low-income children in the Van Lang community. The activities are directed to children ages 6 – 13 and relate to assistance with homework and promotion of physical activity.
Description of Volunteer Role:
• Assist Homework Club Worker to provide healthy nutritious snacks to encourage healthy eating habits.
• Assist with program set-up, clean up, snack preparation, physical activity, and completion of homework.
• Provide 1:1 attention to assigned children
• Provide social support and friendly interactions.
• Ability to speak English
• Ability to speak French is an asset.
• Experience working with children ages 6 – 13.
• Patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work with children/youth who may have special learning/behavioral issues
• Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Reliable and dependable.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
To volunteer with us, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator