Homework Club Program Assistant (“After The Bell” Program)
Volunteer Position: Homework Club Program Assistant (“After The Bell” Program
Location: Churchill Senior Centre, 345 Richmond Rd
Time: 4:15 to 6:15
Number of Volunteers Needed: 1-3
Commitment: All year round (program runs from Sept – August)
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Volunteer will report to: Coordinator for School Success Programs
Goal of the program:
“After The Bell” is provided in partnership with Dovercourt Recreation Centre. The program provides outreach and related activities to low-income children in the Van Lang community. The activities are directed to children ages 6 – 13 and relate to assistance with homework and promotion of physical activity.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Assist Homework Club Worker to provide healthy nutritious snacks to encourage healthy eating habits.
- Assist with program set-up, clean up, snack preparation, physical activity, and completion of homework.
- Provide 1:1 attention to assigned children
- Provide social support and friendly interactions.
- Ability to speak English
- Ability to speak French is an asset.
- Experience working with children ages 6 – 13.
- Patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with children/youth who may have special learning/behavioral issues
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check
To apply for volunteer positions, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated August 2016