Grief and Bereavement Peer Facilitators
Location: 900 Merivale Road
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: Second Wednesday of every month
Time: 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Commitment: One year, Ongoing
Volunteer will report to: Health Promoter
Goals of the program
The Health Promotion and Counselling Team is recruiting 6 peer facilitators for a new bereavement program designed for seniors. The Grief and Loss Program has two components: a Monthly Drop In and an 8-week support group. Volunteers would be working with a Carlington Community Health Centre Counsellor to provide grief and loss support for anyone grieving the death of a spouse/partner, child, parent, sibling, relative or friend.
Description of Volunteer Role
- Co-facilitating a monthly grief and bereavement support drop-ins with a Carlington Community Health Centre Counsellor.
- Co-facilitate an 8-week support group with a Carlington Community Health Centre Counsellor.
- Promote a safe, secure and welcoming environment for participants.
- Encourage participants to provide mutual emotional support to one another.
- Completion of a 3- day grief training program with Bereaved Families of Ottawa either September 22 – 24 or November 17 – 29, 2016
- Experience providing emotional support
- Patient, open-minded, non-judgmental, excellent interpersonal skills
- Sensitive to multicultural issues and to issues facing low-income population
- Good communication skills, ability to speak in English
- Ability to commit to 1 year of volunteering
- Availability and willingness to participate in a 3-day peer facilitation training with Bereaved Families of Ontario
- Awareness of seniors’ needs
- Awareness of grief and loss/bereavement
- Punctual, reliable, and dependable
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
Please contact Andrea Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-722-4000 for more information.