“Buns in the Oven” Program Assistant
Volunteer Position: “Buns in the Oven” Program Assistant
Location: 900 Merivale Road (Main site)
Time: 9:30 am to 12:15 pm
Minimum commitment: 3 months
Volunteer will report to: Rana Arfeh, Family Support Worker
Buns in the Oven is a weekly prenatal/postnatal program for women interested in learning about pregnancy and nutrition. Participants are invited to take part in cooking and sharing a healthy meal, as well as take part in guest lectures/workshops regarding child development, parenting, safety etc.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Welcome and support young mothers as they enter the program
- Promote a nurturing, caring, warm, and supportive environment
- Supporting first-time participants and returning participants with registration and registration renewal
- Assisting staff in administering participant surveys
- Assisting with food preparation and clean-up
- Assisting staff and guest lecturers with educational activities
- Assist in childcare when needed.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Good communication skills, ability to speak in English (other languages, such as Arabic, French, Spanish, Chinese, Somali, an asset)
- Caring, patient, non-judgmental, and understanding of client needs
- Punctual, reliable, and dependable
- Sensitive to multicultural issues
- Sensitive to issues facing low-income population, specifically young low-income mothers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check
Updated October 2016