After School Program Assistant – W.E. Gowling School
Volunteer Position: After School Program Assistant
Location: W.E. Gowling School
Days: Mondays, Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays
Time: 2:30 – 5:00 pm
Commitment: Year-round (September – June)
Team: Parent-Child Team
Volunteer will report to: Coordinator for School Success Programs
Goal of the program:
The After School Program Worker provides activities for children aged 9 to 12 to help increase their levels of physical activity and enjoyment of physical activity, knowledge of healthy food choices, and ability to plan a healthy meal, and resiliency, self-esteem, and self-confidence.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Assist the after school program workers with the activities of the program.
- Assist with program set-up, clean up, snack preparation, and physical activity.
- Assist children with completion of homework.
- Provide social support and friendly interactions.
- Ability to speak English well.
- Experience working with children ages 9 – 12.
- Patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
Updated January 2019