After School Program Assistant – Alexander Community Centre
Location: Alexander Community Centre
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Time: 3:30 – 5 pm
Commitment: 3 months
Goal of the program:
The After School Program Worker provides activities for children aged 9 to 12 to help increase their levels of physical activity and enjoyment of physical activity, knowledge of healthy food choices, and ability to plan a healthy meal, and resiliency, self-esteem, and self-confidence.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Assist the after school program workers with the activities of the program.
- Assist with program set-up, clean up, snack preparation, and physical activity.
- Assist children with completion of homework.
- Provide social support and friendly interactions.
- Ability to speak English well.
- Experience working with children ages 9 – 12.
- Patient, open-minded, and non-judgmental, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.