SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Mentor
Volunteer Position: SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Mentor
Location: Fisher Park Public School, 250 Holland Ave.
Team: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Time: 3:00 to 5:30 pm, September 8, 2015 to June 15, 2016
Commitment: Minimum of three months
Goal of the program: The SWAG program is intended to increase the high school graduation rate of students identified as most at risk of failing by providing volunteer mentors who will help increase students’ academic success in a supportive environment.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Assist staff in implementing social recreation by helping with set up and take-down and by participating in activities.
- Help students improve skills such as life skills and goal setting.
- Provide encouragement, acceptance, motivation, and support to participants.
- Provide positive feedback and appropriate guidance to students.
- Volunteer mentors may be asked to participate in outings.
- Experience with older children / youth.
- Caring, patient, open-minded, non-judgmental, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in French and additional languages pertinent to our client population an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
For more information about this position, and to receive the application materials, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at 613-722-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org