SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Tutor
Volunteer Position: SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Tutor
Location: Fisher Park Public School, 250 Holland Ave.
Time: 3:00 to 5:30 pm, September 8, 2015 to June 15, 2016
Commitment: Minimum three (3) months
Team: Parent-Child Team
Reporting to: Coordinator, School Success Program
Goal of the program:
The SWAG program is intended to increase the high school graduation rate of students identified as most at risk of failing by providing volunteer mentors who will help increase students’ academic success in a supportive environment.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Provide academic assistance related to the Grade 9 and 10 curriculum to participants
- Help students improve study habits such as time management and studying skills.
- Help motivate students to complete academic goals.
- Provide positive feedback and appropriate guidance to students.
- Previous experience with older children / youth.
- Knowledge of Grade 9 and 10 high school curriculum. Concentration in math, science, history, and French preferred.
- Knowledge of appropriate tutoring and motivational techniques
- Caring, patient, open-minded, non-judgmental, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in French and additional languages pertinent to our client population an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
For more information about this position, and to receive the application materials, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers at 613-722-4000 or email@example.com